Mucous extravasation cyst(Mucoceles)
· Affect the minor salivary glands,particularly of the lip
· Often form in lower lip,sometimes in floor of the mouth(Ranula)
· They are obviously cystic,hemispherical,fluctuant and bluish.
· Saliva leaking from the damagedducts into the superficial surrounding tissues excitesand inflammatory reaction
· The pools of saliva gradually coalese to form a rounded collection of fluid surrounded by compressed connective tissue without epithelium
Mucous retention cyst
· Mucocele cannot be distinguished from a retention cyst clinically.
· Remnants of the minor mucous salivary glands are visible together with their dilated ducts,the epithelium of which is the epithelial lining of the cyst.